Tuesday 19 February 2008

A little about me...

My main interests today are in public policy issues surrounding the Internet, as well as the more technical fields of information security, networking and general Internet regulation.

I have been involved with technology from a young age when I was given the opportunity to work at a local computer store at the age of 14, soldering parts and building ‘286’s’. Following this experience, I developed a strong interest in information and communication technologies, taking a diverse and varied academic route to my current PhD position.

My first big step was enrolling on an Engineering and Computer Science course at an undergraduate level, where I initially studied the Internet through the lense of development of the technical infrastructure, and the study of various standards, applications and constrains. This lead to a growing curiosity in engaging in the social science dialogue of the Internet sciences, which was the focus of my MA dissertation entitled ‘The Global Governance of the Internet: Context, ICANN and a Case Study of the Domain Name System Root’. The completion of the dissertation lead to an interest in investigating and learning more about the regulatory and legal challenges – the focus of my PhD thesis.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger